“Everything Is Possible If You Believe!”
While Jesus was up the mountain of transfiguration, a man brought his son to the didciples to cure him of his demonic epileptic seizures. The disciples were not able to do it. Jesus descended to the scene and when the boy’s father explained to him, Jesus was disappointed. He replied, “O unbelieving generation, how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you?…”
The boy’s father pleaded with Jesus, “But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” Jesus said, “If you can? Everything is possible for him who believes.” The man immediately exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” Jesus commanded the evil spirit out of the boy. Behind the scene his disciples asked to know why they weren’t able to drive out the evil spirit. Jesus replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer”(Mk.9:14-29).
Some lessons drawn from the text:
- It is not how long we have been in the fold; it is how much faith we have.
- It is not whether Jesus can, for with God everything is possible to the person who believes. When we ask from Jesus we must have faith to believe that Jesus is able. When you truly believe you won’t set any limit on what God can do.
- The man’s exclamation is the inherent battle within the heart of man. Human faith is never perfect; belief and unbelief are often bedfellows.
- When unbelief beclouds and overshadows belief, then the disciples cannot be able to achieve, no matter how long they are with Jesus.
- Above all, evil spirits are categorised. Some kinds can come out only through prayer.
Prayer and belief that God can do it makes all things possible. Mighty Goliath saw David as a little insect which he could crush with his fingers. David confronted Goliath with belief untainted with unbelief. He told the giant, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty…This day the Lord will hand you over to me, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head…”(I Sam.17:45ff). Goliath approached David clad in all sophisticated military armor but little David had “put on the full armor of God…”
We cannot take a stand against the devil’s schemes if we are not putting on the full armor of God. These include standing firm with the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God. Above all, praying “in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert…”(Eph.6:10-18).
Therefore my friend, to overcome your unbelief so as to fully believe in the Lord for your requests, make sure that you have put on the full armor of God! If it is in God’s will and plan he will answer “Yes;”if not he will say “No!” And if it is too early, he will say, “Wait!”
Sunday prayer: Lord I believe. Help me to overcome my unbelief. Give me discernment to know and accept your answer to my prayer. Amen!
Have a blessed Sunday! Peace be with you!