“Give Ear To God’s Word!”(Num.22:21-35).
It shouldn’t be strange to us that Balaam’s donkey spoke. It was a snake that enticed Eve with amorous language through which we lost paradise!
God who created everything decides to give ears and speech to any of his creation any time he so desires. In the midst of a storm Jesus “rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided and all was calm.” The disciples were surprised that “he commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him”(Lk.8:22-25). This means the winds and the water have ears to hear and obey the creator.
Balaam had been called to go and place a curse against Israel. At first the Lord told the prophet not to go. Later on the Lord told him, “Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you to do.”
It would appear the Lord read Balaam’s heart to know that he would disobey the Lord, so an angel blocked his way three times. Each time the angel blocked the way, the donkey saw him and fell to the ground. And each time the donkey fell down Balaam beat the donkey.
This time around the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth and it asked Balaam what it had done to deserve the three times beating. In his blind anger Balaam entered into dialogue with the donkey. It did not occur to him that donkeys don’t speak.
Hear the donkey: “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”
The Lord opened Balaam’s eyes to see the angel who had come to oppose Balaam’s path because it was a reckless path.
Even so, the angel told him, “Go with the men, but speak only what I will tell you.”
Some lessons out of the many:
- God can use any of his creatures the way he wants to; but always for our good.
- Not all obstacles that stand on our way are intended to bring us down. They are rather for our protection. If the donkey had not gone down each time it saw the angel, the angel would have smitten Balaam with a sword. Things are not always the way they seem to be.
- We should not always become angry for a little offense from those who have always been serviceable to us. So many trustworthy people have been molested, dismissed, imprisoned on false allegations.
- We should never allow ourselves to be bought with money to curse the Lord’s chosen! Bribery and corruption has killed truth; giving room for falsehoods and half-truths to be hawked on the streets and the majority are queuing for it because of its cheapness.
- Lastly, speak only what the Lord tells you. This is very important because in our generation there is a tendecy to project our hallucinations as visions from the Lord.
Put your trust in the Lord always. The Lord may allow you to go along with the enemy, but never play to their gallery! Do and say only what the Lord wants you to do or say.
Prayer: Lord always send your angel to block my path when my intentions are not in alignment with your will. Amen!
Welcome back to a new working day and week! Have a blessed day and week! Peace be with you!
Rev Babila Fochang.